Sunday, December 17, 2006

Carhartts on a plane


Welcome back, sports fans.
Ok, I don't have time for long-winded post but here's a little teaser about Day 1 and 2 in Barrow, Alaska:
- Getting felt up (not in a good way) by a husky woman in security because my Carhartt bibs kept setting off the metal detector.
- Explaining to two half-cocked women on the plane that the white things in the sky were clouds.
- Realizing that the 'hour of twilight' in Barrow wasn't really light at all. It's dark here, and it's dark all the time. Creepy.
- Getting yelled at and then kicked out of Bingo for trying to take pictures. (I shared a ciggy minutes later with the woman who did most of the yelling...I think she had forgotten.)
- Laughing with my Philippino cab driver about getting kicked out of Bingo.
- Eating sushi as big as my head.
- Eating breakfast at the Mexican food place.
- Taking a self-portrait in front of Arctic Hair and Tanning in downtown Barrow.
- Watching the desk clerk make a face of disgust when I came down to the lobby in my long johns to get more coffee.
- Getting asked in the library if I knew whom Beth Ipsen was. Very Creepy.
Ok, I'll elaborate more on these stories and more in a while.
Things are going well here but, honestly, Fairbanks is enough wacky Alaska for me. I am, however, enjoying the running water, cable TV and wireless internet.
Peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hah! Bipsen follows you everywhere! mf

AKbushbaby said...

Tell me about it. It's like she's obsessed with me or something.

Anonymous said...

No. I meant maybe she was one of those ladies on the plane you had to explain the clouds to!
Actually, she did get the polar bear certificate for taking a dip in the ocean. Did you do that? 'Cause I know Bipsen's your hero.

AKbushbaby said...

Did I do that? Listen lady, I eat my meals in the Arctic Ocean. I also wrestled a polar bear (and won) AND I am now the mayor of Barrow. Ok? Is that good enough for you? Are you happy now? Man. What's a girl got to do to be better than Bipsen? I'm putting up a new post in a few and JC do I have some funny stories. This place is growing on me. I just need to stay away from bingo. I actually had a guy say to me this morning 'my polar bear can beat up their polar bear' and he was serious. HA!

Anonymous said...

Ah, it sounds so fun and makes me want to go on the Quest with you! I promise not to shake anything... can't wait to see the photos in the Tribune... P.Casey