Monday, September 25, 2006

Frosty Freeze


Woke up this morning to below-freezing temperatures (Celsius, of course). Although I've wintered several years in the north, it's always a bit unnerving just knowing what's to come. It takes a week or two to adjust to the cold and dark once again, but then it just becomes routine. However, this morning was a bit of a slap in the face with frost on the ground and visions of minus 40 jumping around in my head: the bitter cold, the endless layers of clothes just to go to the bathroom, stumbling around the dog yard with a headlamp on, frostnipped fingers, the squeaky sound your boots make in the snow when it's colder than 20 below...ahh winter. There are some things I'm looking forward to though: The northern lights, which have already made a few appearances here; being out with the dogs; and the stark beauty when everything's covered in snow and frost.
We moved this weekend, although we haven't made the final transition into the new place just yet. The fridge will get delivered today. The cabinets are in (except for the broken one which should be here next week), the wiring is coming along and so, in goes the furniture. Before we actually start living there full time, we'll have to install the wood stove which shouldn't be too big a job. We're hoping the weather holds up for a few more weeks so we can get settled and maybe pull the canoe out and take a day float somewhere. We only paddled once this summer and that was a four-hour trip down the Chena River through town. It was nice but we'd like to get out for at least one semi-adventurous trip before the snow flies.
Anyway, there are things to move (mostly Sam's crap...and by crap, I mean crap...he's a packrat like I've never seen before. He wouldn't let me throw out a stack of outdoor magazines from 1994, or boxes of random parts and pieces of nothing, or a Chia-Shrek (that's just creepy), or a glass dish thingy that he salvaged off an old power pole. "It makes a good shrimp cocktail dish," he said. Sorry sweetness, but shrimp cocktail went out with acid wash and our parties consist of bonfires and beer anyway...the moving saga continues...stay tuned.
Peace.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That’s a great idea using them as shrimp cocktail dishes. I use them for target practice they blow up real good.

AKbushbaby said...

It's all yours.

Anonymous said...

Hey ask about his G.I. Joe collection!
And of course the "Fork-U" for opening mail.....

Anonymous said...

I have one of those glass thingy's. It's called an insulator. It's a collector's item - or a paper weight.

I'll trade you a pair of bobble-head nuns for Sam's GI Joe collection. Gee, I think Joe will go great with my posable Jesus Action Figurine.

No I don't want the chia-shrek - I saw it and it's butt ugly.

What's an original Silver Beatles poster circa 1962, with Pete Best as drummer worth to you?

Oh yeah, I forgot ... this isn't e-blog.

AKbushbaby said...

Sam has a GI Joe collection? I only want the one with the kung-fu grip. Man, I'm learning a lot about my husband through these anonymous comments. Well, you can have the insulator, the boy dolls, you can keep your nuns and I'll throw in some Food and Wine magazines from 1994 for, let's see, a mocha from ACRC. Sound good? You can also have some old speakers, some wicker baskets, some cookie tins, and I'll throw in some handy-dandy wire for...hmmm... a pumpkin cookie from ACRC. Deal? I'll take the Jesus action figure actually. Is it the one on wheels?

Anonymous said...

Can't have Jesus back - He's working miracles for me at school....when He's not pulling wheelies!

AKbushbaby said...

Yeah, I've seen Jesus' version of a wheelie...'nuff said.
Sam's resorted to looking in trash bags and pulling out things I've thrown away i.e., a decorative wire mesh watering can and a matching heart that says something like 'a nurse's guardian angel.' I've succumbed to his packratedness. The minimalist in me is dead. Welcome to America...now give me more, more, more!