Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Tail Wagon has been parked

Well, I think my mushing season is officially over. It's been upwards of 50 degrees in the Interior and things are melty and mucky. Break-up is a yucky time here. At least the outhouse is melting...it was very, very full. It rained yesterday and the trails are soupy, so my last trip into the White Mountains is effectively canceled. Boo Radley Hoo.
The dogs are in really good shape but are happy to lounge around with these warm afternoons. With spring comes the promise of warmer, sunny days but it also means horny, horny bitches. That's right, I have five females in heat right now and they're impossible. They pine for some lovin' and are sweet to the boys and nasty to each other. Women.
Roy got neutered last week so now I don't have to worry about any of my boys knocking up the ladies. Just a day after the surgery, he ripped the sutures out and is now on a heavy dose of antibiotics. He got his first boner last week and had a complete meltdown. Sorry if this is too graphic, but it really was funny. So he got wood, ran down to the lower yard and screamed and cried until I finally went down, picked him up and brought him in the house. The darn thing wouldn't go down. I kept telling him to think baseball, but it didn't work. Our friend John was over visiting and I think the whole thing was pretty uncomfortable for the boys. Not me. I just laughed. Men.
I wrote a feature story for the paper about Iniakuk and it will be available online on Sunday.
Sam and I leave for Ontari-ari-o on April 12 to visit my family and then when we get back on the 18th I get ready to head to Skagway for the summer.
Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill! How's my favorite party girl? I don't get to read your blog as often anymore with the new job, but was able to check out some postings today. Sounds like you've gotten to do some really great mushing. Just want to drop a note and say hello!
Lisa

Erin Alaska said...

I tagged you. Have a super-duper weekend!