Sunday, August 27, 2006

They don't like 'dwarf', they prefer 'little planet'

Poor Pluto. Don't important people have better things to do? Aren't there bigger things happening right now? Yes. The answer is yes.
Whew. So we got the inside of the cabin painted. After a full day of cleaning and masking, we put on two coats Friday night and the last one yesterday. It looks good if we do say so ourselves. Here's a photo of Sam in his white paint suit. Anything and everything got a coating of the clear paint so we were protected. And yes, the jokes were flyin' all night long. Of course, the more fumes we inhaled the funnier the jokes got.
I drove 30 miles out of town yesterday to pick up a dog box for my truck. I'd post a photo of that but someone stole the point-and-shoot digi camera out of my truck a couple nights ago. The dog box has 12 holes big enough to double-load dogs if need be. It has storage in the back and little paw prints painted on the sides. It'll be perfect for transporting the team around to training trails and races. The only problem is that it's a little heavy for my F150. We're now looking for a bigger diesel.
Yesterday, driving home with this thing that weighs about 1,000 pounds precariously tied on the back of my truck was pretty frightening. The back end of might as well have been sitting on the tires and, for those who have never been north, the roads here have many, many bumps because of permafrost. So I ended up doing about 25 mph where the limit is 55 with a long line of cars behind and this box teetering on the back. Oh yeah, the box covered my back lights so I had to use hand signals. By the time I got home my nerves were shot.
Anyway, today we're going to put on the slate tile. This weekend has been nuts. It's not even 8 o'clock on a Sunday morning and I'm on my way out the door. I'll be glad when this project is done. But I'm still having fun. Still having fun. Fun.
Congrats to Margaret (aka Woodward) for getting a freelance gig for Newsweek. Donald Rumsfeld is here this weekend blah, blah blahing about the military and...please don't get me started.
Peace
Pictured: a dog named Jack

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That dog needs help?
Looks like a job for Nancy.

KD said...

that dog looks a little cross-eyed. reminds me of someone, but i can't quite figure out who...

Anonymous said...

Isn't the limit 5 cars before you pull over.

AKbushbaby said...

Jack is very much cross-eyed. So were his sisters Java and Julie. His brothers Jambo and Jingo were not, however. These were dogs in Finland. Jack and Jambo were guide Marco's dogs, Java was Tina's, Julie was Sami's and I had Jingo. Jingo would get really excited to go and bite, whatever or whoever (usually me) got closest enough to him. Ahhh, good times in Finland. Is there a five-car impediment law in Alaska? Absolutely. Do I care? Absolutely not.

... said...

Pop the beer, I'm back to three dogs! Got back from the fair and was happily surprised to see they'd been taken. I'll check in with the happy owners today but woo hoo!!

The fair was awesome, too. Got harassed by security and everything. Saw a skunk. Ate like crazy. The usual.